Tuesday 3 December 2013

Thing 18: The end of all 'things' (except Thing 19)


Ever wonder why Porky Pig where's a bow tie?
I've really struggled to write the start of this final post. I've probably typed and deleted twelve different beginnings. Now please do not think that I'm getting overly distraught about finishing the 19things programme, I'm really not. I've quite enjoyed it yes but not so much as to form any sort of emotional involvement. What I think I've struggled with, as far this post goes, is giving the blog a good and proper send off. I guess you could say I'm a bit 'blog proud'. I'm not sure whether this blog makes for entertaining reading to other people or not but personally, I'm quite chuffed with it, random structure 'n' all. But enough of me gushing over my own blog and yearning for the perfect finale, let me share with you my experience of 19things.
Did I enjoy it? 
Well yes I suppose I did. None of it was at all stressful and some of it was pretty darn useful. I can honestly say I've learnt on this programme and as I mentioned in an earlier post, I like learning new things but I especially enjoy it when you can practise them.
Has my attitude changed since the first blog?
In a word, no. I started with optimism and confident that the programme was a good idea. Throughout it all nothing has made me question that belief and in the end my opinion is that 19things is a good idea and worth doing.
Best 'Thing'? 
That award would probably go to both Thing 9: Creating a Protopage page and Thing 10: Adding RSS feeds to Protopage. I really enjoyed creating a Protopage, fairly easy to use and extremely satisfying when it all starts coming together. This may sound a little sad but I love RSS feeds and will find any excuse to use them. Adding them to the Protopage was simple and effective. I think it's an excellent tool to be able to use.
Close behind in second place is Thing 12: Adding a Pubmed search alert to My Library. This was a real eye opener, I felt so much smarter after completing this task.
'Thing' I least enjoyed?
If you put a gun to my head and said that I absolutely must pick the thing I least enjoyed I suppose I would choose Thing 6: Browsers. Didn't feel like I got a huge amount out of it, even though it was good to sit and think about how you could utilise the best out of different browsers. It could explain why I nearly forgot the task entirely and only completed it during the catch-up week. Maybe I subconsciously knew it would be my least enjoyable 'thing'.
Which 'Thing(s)' would I use for work? 
Without doubt I would use Protopage. In fact we already are setting up a page for the library. It looks great, it works well and I hope our users like it when we start sharing the link and directing them to the page. I've started using RSS feeds on My Library, great tool to have. I already use QR codes and Worlde (or the more impressive Tagxedo) for much of our marketing publicity. I would use Meet-O-Matic again when the occasion calls for it, so simple to use. Possibly LibraryThing, I've bookmarked the page in case we ever do want to use it but I'm not 100% sure on that one. I would definitely signpost students or staff who are studying to CiteULike. I'm thankful to 19things for showing me this site and encouraging me to practically using it, thus give me the confidence to be able to engage with library users wanting help or advice with reference management.
How do I feel now it's completed?
Like a majestic Lion looking from on high at the great savanna stretching before him on a golden sunrise... Actually that's a bit of over the top. I wouldn't say I feel proud of my self as such. I'm pleased that I've picked up some new tricks and have a better understanding of a few things. Semi-relieved that our IT systems allowed us to complete all the tasks. Slightly sad that I don't have a genuine excuse to write gibberish at work anymore. But all 'n' all I'd say I'm happy with how it's all gone.

So let me say a thank you to all who have helped create and run this programme. It really has been useful and I think the way it has been delivered has been excellent. I hope others have found it a worthwhile exercise as well. Muchas gracias!

That's it from me then folks! Not so much finishing with a bang but an unrelenting spiel. Bye.

Ok one last terrible, library related joke - My friend got crushed by a pile of books. He's only got his shelf to blame!

No comments:

Post a Comment